- GRI Items:
To achieve Baxter’s sustainability goals, the company works to educate and engage employees in its sustainability initiatives. In Baxter’s 2011 Culture Survey, 77% of employees worldwide indicated that the company’s sustainability programs were important to them. The Sustainability Steering Committee reviews survey results to assess progress and identify opportunities for improvement in programs related to the environment, health and safety, inclusion, ethics and compliance, and other areas.
Baxter engages and communicates with employees about its sustainability efforts through various channels, including:
- Quarterly all-employee webcasts during which CEO Bob Parkinson discusses sustainability;
- Regular internal communications about sustainability practices at the company worldwide;
- A sustainability Intranet site that provides a portal for employees to provide feedback and ask questions about sustainability, including company sustainability success stories and tips and other tools to help engage employees on the company's sustainability priorities
- A toolkit to help employees communicate about sustainability including posters, website banners, template cover letters, fact sheets and a PowerPoint presentation:
- The Baxter 2011 Sustainability Priorities Report that will be available in several languages;
- Quarterly press releases highlighting achievements posted throughout facilities;
- Recruitment information and new hire orientation sessions and packets include sustainability-related information;
- Sponsored events about environmental initiatives and healthy living through Baxter World Environment Week, and BeWell@Baxter;
- Volunteering to address local concerns such as healthcare and education; and
- Baxter’s Environment, Health and Safety department partners with the Baxter Credit Union to offer rebates on purchases that support energy conservation such as hybrid cars and energy efficient appliances to educate employees about the benefits of environmentally-minded purchases.
See Employee Involvement for more information.
I’m fortunate to say that my role within Baxter does indeed contribute to a greater good. Every day, I help provide guidance to the company and its employees who seek to do business with high integrity and in compliance with the law. I feel privileged to work for a company that’s considered to be a leader in sustainability.